Richard-Brasier

 In Cars

After a Mercedes won the 1903 Gordon Bennett Cup, the French industry was up in arms. They wanted to bring back the Cup “where it belongs”. The Elimination Trials were won by a brand new brand, Richard-Brasier.


The people behind the new car were Henri Brasier, who formerly worked for Mors and Georges Richard, who together with his brother Max had been building cars since the late 1890s at Ivry-Port, Seine, France. Previously called ‘Georges Richard’, the cars were renamed ‘Richard-Brasier’ for 1904 and plain ‘Brasier’ after 1905 following Georges Richard’s departure. On his arrival Henri Brasier had instigated a new range of larger cars constructed along Panhard lines, consisting of four chain-driven models with two and four-cylinder engines ranging in power from 10 to 40hp. Pressed steel chassis frames were the norm by 1904, while chain drive survived on only the largest models, shaft drive having been adopted on the others.

For the Gordon Bennett Cup Brasier designed a car, which weighed 972 kg – just a few kilos shy of the 1000 kg limit. it was the only car in the 1904 race with an engine volume less than 10 litre – its four-cylinder engine had a capacity of 9896 cc.

“The motor gives 85 h.p. on the brake, and is exactlv the same as that by which the famous Georges-Richard motor launch, “ Trefle-a-Quatre,” was propelled at the Monaco regatta. The car, strictly speaking, is not a racing car. It is very similar to the ordinary touring car sold by this firm, except that it is driven by chains instead of a live axle. The ignition is by magneto, and the engine is similar to the 1904 model Georges-Richard cars, only of larger dimensions. The car lies low, and has the radiator in front, with a fan behind it” said a description in The Autocar.

Leon Théry completed the task and won the 1904 race. Then he returned in 1905 with a revised car, which had a more powerful engine and won the last Gordon Bennett Cup as well.

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment